DIY Bucket Hat
Our DIY of the month is a reversible bucket hat with a FREE pattern! Make one for yourself or for the whole family! Have fun with different prints, fabrics and textures to create your perfect summer time bucket hat.
Wide Brim Edition
- 0.3m denim or heavyweight fabric
- 0.3m of lining (we used cotton)
- sewing machine
- Place your main fabric band pieces right sides together and stitch the side seam with 1/2″ seam allowance. Press the seam open. Repeat with the lining.
2. Place your main fabric brim pieces right sides together and stitch the side seam with 1/2″ seam allowance. Press the seam open. Repeat with the lining.
3. Place the main fabric brim and lining brim right sides together, matching seams, stitch around with 1/2″ seam allowance. Notch the seam allowance.
4. Turn right side out and press. Edge stitch the hem and continue to stitch around the brim in 3/8″ intervals.
5. Baste around the top edge of the main fabric and lining band. Snip into the seam allowance, being careful not to snip into the threads.
6. Place the right side of the band against the right side of the top. Pin in place and stitch with 1/2″ seam allowance. Repeat for the lining
7. Press seam towards the band and topstitch down along the edge.
8. Press the bottom edge of the band up 1/2″ on the main fabric.
9. Place the lining top/band right sides together with the lining side of the brim. Your raw edges and side seams should be matched up. Pin in place and stitch with 1/2″ seam allowance. Press the seam upwards.
10. Place the top/band piece in the main fabric over the rest of the hat, ensure all seams are matched up. Pin in place so the folded edge of the main fabric is covering the uppermost line of stitching around the brim. Pin in place and edge stitch all the way around to secure pieces together.