Quilt Along: Block 1
Welcome to Block 1 of our Quilt Along!! We are going to be doing a quilt along of 16 blocks starting with beginner techniques and progressing to advanced techniques. This is a perfect way to introduce yourself to quilting and learn some of the common blocks used in quilting. We will be posting 2 blocks a week. There are printable instructions and a video tutorial! If you want even more interaction join us every Wednesday on our Facebook page www.facebook/FabriclandWest for a live sew-along were we will go over the two blocks for the week and answer any questions you might have.
Block 1 is a simple 4 square block. This will introduce you to cutting squares, sewing them together, pressing, and squaring off your edges.
- Cut out 4 squares measuring 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″. You can use different fabric or the same fabric for each square. Lay the 4 squares out in the order you would like them to be finished.
2. Place the two top squares right sides together and stitch one edge with 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam to the side.
3. Place the bottom two squares right sides together and stitch one edge with 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam to the opposite side of the top squares.
4. Place the top two squares right sides together with the bottom two squares and stitch them together with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Your middle seams should be turned in the opposite direction to reduce the bulk.
5. Press the seam open.
6. To finish the block we need to square off the edges. Sometimes when we sew the fabric will stretch a bit, to ensure your square is measuring its finished size of 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ measure across each side. Trim any edges that have been stretched.