Quilt Along: Block 5
Welcome to Block 5 of our Quilt Along!! We are going to be doing a quilt along of 16 blocks starting with beginner techniques and progressing to advanced techniques. This is a perfect way to introduce yourself to quilting and learn some of the common blocks used in quilting. We will be posting 2 blocks a week. There are printable instructions and a video tutorial! If you want even more interaction join us every Wednesday on our Facebook page www.facebook/FabriclandWest for a live sew-along were we will go over the two blocks for the week and answer any questions you might have.
- Cut 2 squares measuring 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ . Cut 8 squares measuring 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″
2. Start with 4 of your squares measuring 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″. Lay them out as you’d like them to be finished.
3. Place your top two squares right sides together and stitch the seam with 1/4″ seam allowance.
4. Press your seam to the side.
5. Place your bottom two squares right sides together and stitch.
6. Press each seam in the opposite direction of the top squares.
7. Place the top row and bottom row right sides together and stitch with 1/4″ seam allowance.
8. Press the seam open.
9. Trim your square to measure 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
10. Repeat with the four other 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ squares.
11. Place one 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ square right sides together with one of your new multi square pieces. Stitch the seam with 1/4″ seam allowance.
12. Press the seam to one side.
13. Repeat with the other pieces.
14. Place your top row and bottom row right sides together and stitch with 1/4″ seam allowance.
15. Press the seam open.
16. Square your edges so your square measures 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″.