A needle plays an imperative role when sewing and choosing the right needle isn’t always something we think about. There are a number of different needles for different jobs that can make sewing easier and make your sewing better.(more…)
- Pin your selvedges together matching stripes. This will ensure that your stripes will match all the way across the fabric and on both sides.
- Place your pattern pieces on the fabric matching seam lines along the same stripe. Pin in place.
- Do not cut pieces on the fold. Instead, trace your pattern piece and flip it and trace the other side. Again make sure your seams are along the same stripe.
Make inserting an invisible zipper easier with a Costumakers Zipper Foot! This easy to use zipper foot makes putting a zipper in seamless and fast. Follow these simple guidelines and zippers will no longer be fear when sewing.
- Choose the correct blue attachment based off of the instructions.
- Line the needle up with the centre of the foot. When the needle goes down it should be in line with the centre groove.
- Place one side of your zipper right side down on the right side of the fabric. The edge of the zipper tape should match with the edge of your fabric.
- Pin or hand baste into place.
- Roll the zipper teeth back and place in the groove on the foot.
- Your needle should come down right next to the teeth. Repeat on the other side
Summer is the perfect time for flowy and light fashion. The Mary polyester chiffon collection and Clara chiffon collections offer a wide variety of prints and solids in a light fabric, perfect for your summer sewing needs. Match it with a Burda Pattern and you are set to go!(more…)
National Sewing Machine Day! I think we can all attest to a love-hate relationship with our machines 😜 but no matter what it still needs to be cared for! Take these simple steps to clean and care for your machine and it will be running good as new.
- Remove the thread, bobbin and needle.
- Remove the face plate and bobbin case. Clean the bobbin case with a lint brush and soft cloth
- Clean the remainder of the machine with a lint brush and cloth. Do not blow into the machine as this can create moisture.
- Put the bobbin case and face plate back on the machine.
- Add a new needle.
- Following your user manual, oil the machine if necessary. Some machines do not require oil and are self lubricating.
- Place a fabric scrap underneath the presser foot to soak up any excess oil.