Give an old shirt some love with decorative embroidery. Jazz up the pocket, hem, sleeve or collar. With simple embroidery techniques, you can take something old and give it a new life! Use the pattern provided or create one of your own.(more…)
Upcycle an old backpack with some fun appliques! Let the kids pick out their appliques and use one of our four methods to attach.
- Heat n Bond Ultra (optional)
- 606 Adhesive Spray (optional)
- Embroidery Thread & Needle (optional)
- Use heat n bond ultra to create a stronger bond between the applique and backpack. Trace your applique on the heat n bond and cut out. Press your applique to the heat n bond and peel off the paper backing. Cover with a pressing cloth and hold and press for 20 seconds or until adhered.
- Use a piece of cardboard or newspaper to protect your work surface. Place your applique face down and spray with 606 Adhesive Spray. Place onto your backpack, cover with a pressing cloth and hold and press for 20 seconds or until adhered.
- If your applique has a good border you can embroider it onto the backpack with a blanket stitch.
- You can use the natural adhesive from the applique also. On rough or thick fabrics it might not adhere as well.
Take an old pair of flip-flops and upcycle them into these fun and comfortable fabric sandals. A great project to play around with and experiment moving, tying and sewing the fabric into different styles.
- Old pair of flip-flops
- Scrap fabric or 0.2m of fabric (We used a stretch)
- Scissors, thread, needle, sewing machine
- Cut strips 2″ wide on the crossgrain.
- We braided three strips together and had enough for the flip flops
- Cut out the strap already in the sandal and thread through your braid securing with a knot.
- Follow the video below for design ideas or create your own!