The Livia Rayon Collection offers beautiful prints in a light rayon fabric, matched with a Burda pattern and you have the perfect summer blouse! Sewing with Rayon only requires a few steps to ensure your garment turns out. First, be sure to pre-wash your fabric and dry it. Avoid shifting of fabric when cutting by using weights and a rotary cutter. When sewing use sharp small pins and needles as to only puncture small holes into the fabric. Press your seams gently and on a relatively low heat, high heat can leave marks and cause your fabric to shine. Lastly, because of the nature of rayon, it is best to hang your project before hemming it.
Take an old pair of flip-flops and upcycle them into these fun and comfortable fabric sandals. A great project to play around with and experiment moving, tying and sewing the fabric into different styles.
- Old pair of flip-flops
- Scrap fabric or 0.2m of fabric (We used a stretch)
- Scissors, thread, needle, sewing machine
- Cut strips 2″ wide on the crossgrain.
- We braided three strips together and had enough for the flip flops
- Cut out the strap already in the sandal and thread through your braid securing with a knot.
- Follow the video below for design ideas or create your own!
The Livia Scalloped Lace is bright, fun and perfect for making a swimsuit cover-up. This is a quick sew project that will have you ready for a day by the pool or a trip to the beach!
- 2m of fabric (measure your arm length elbow to elbow and double)
- 1 Corded Tassel for a front tie, 2 for slit ties.
- Sewing Machine
Summer is the perfect time for flowy and light fashion. The Mary polyester chiffon collection and Clara chiffon collections offer a wide variety of prints and solids in a light fabric, perfect for your summer sewing needs. Match it with a Burda Pattern and you are set to go!
Tips for sewing with chiffon
- Use weights instead of pins when cutting. This will keep your fabric in place and stop it from shifting. It will also eliminate any marks left behind from pins.
- Cut one layer at a time to ensure accurate cutting.
- Add a new needle to your machine so it can go through the fabric cleanly.
- Avoid back stitching at the beginning and end of stitches, instead leave enough thread to hand tie knots.
- Finish your seams professionally with french seams. They create a beautiful and clean finish on your seams.
What are your summer sewing plans? We love to see what you are making! Don’t forget to tag us in your projects on social media @FabriclandWest
Sweet, sweet summer! Here comes the fresh fruit and the perfect opportunity to make fresh jam! These covers make for a cute gift or party favour. Scroll to the bottom for a strawberry rhubarb jam recipe!(more…)