Keep the clean masks separated from the dirty masks with colour-coordinated mask bags. Add a clip so kids can attach to their backpacks!
- 0.3m Main Fabric
- 1m cord
- 1 swivel hook
*Material quantities given are for one bag*
- From your main fabric cut out the following:
- 4 – 10″ x 11″ rectangles
- 1 – 3 ½” x 3″ rectangle
2. Place 2 rectangles right sides together. Pin the bottom 10″ side. This will be the bottom of the bag.
3. Cut 1 ½” x 1 ½” squares out of both bottom corners. Measure 1 ½” down from the top on both sides and pin. Measure down ½” and pin again. This will be your channel to thread your cord through.
4. Sew down both sides, leaving your ½” gap on either side and along the bottom. Do not sew the corners.
5. Once pressed pull each corner out matching seams and stitch across.
6. Now repeat with your 2 remaining rectangles, but instead of leaving a ½” gap at either side, only leave a 3″ gap on your bottom seam to turn your bag right side out.
7. Take your 3½” x 3″ rectangle and fold in half right sides together so your 3” side meet.
8. Sew down these sides and turn right way out to create a small strap.
9. Loop your strap through your swivel hook.
10. Take your bags and place them right sides together, one inside the other.
11. Place your swivel clip and loop between both bags and line up with the top.
12. Pin in place and sew around to secure.
13. Turn your bag right side out through the opening. Close the opening with a topstitch.
14. Press and topstitch along the top edge.
15. Draw a line around your bag at your top ½” gap. Stitch along this line.
16. Measure down a ½” and draw a line. Stitch along this line to create a ½” channel for your cord.
17. Cut a 10″ length of cord and feed through one side of the bag and around to the other, making sure you come back out the end you went in. Tie your tails to secure.
18. Cut another 10” length of cord and repeat on the opposite side so your knots are on either side of the bag.
19. Adhere your appliques by pressing onto your bag.
Repeat with a contrasting fabric and different appliqués for a dirty bag. You can use your swivel clip to attach this bag to the outside of your backpack.