Today, we are showing you how to make a variety of scrunchies! You can make just a scrunchie, a scrunchie with a scarf, or a scrunchie with a bow. This is a great beginner sewing project and does not take much material or time.
- 0.2m fabric
- 0.2m of elastic
Scrunchie – Hair Scarf
- Cut a rectangle 4″ x 20″
Cut a rectangle 30″ x 8″
Cut a piece of elastic 7″ long
2. Press the short ends of your 4″ x 20″ rectangle to the wrong side of the fabric 1/4″
3. Fold the rectangle right sides together along the long edge and stitch with 1/4″ seam allowance. Make sure to stitch down the folded short end also.
4. Turn right side out.
5. Thread the elastic through the tube and overlap the ends 1/2″ to create a circle. ZigZag stitch to secure the ends together.
6. Tuck your pressed ends to the wrong side and slide one end into the other. Pin closed.
7. Hand stitch closed with a slip stitch.
8. With your 30″ x 8″ rectangle measure in 8″ on the long side from both ends and both sides, mark.
9. Mark the middle of your short sides and connect that mark with the previous mark on both sides to create a point.
10. Cut along these lines to create a point on either side. Finish the edges with a rolled hem.
11. Tie the scarf around the scrunchie, or wear separately!
Scrunchie – Bow
- Using the pattern provided cut 2 bows on the fold. Cut one rectangle measuring 4″ x 20″ and a piece of elastic 7″ long.
2. Pin your bow pieces right sides together and stitch around with a 1/4″ seam allowance leaving a 2″ opening to turn right side out.
3. Trim away excess fabric and clip curves. Turn right side out and press.
4. Close the opening with either a hand stitch slip stitch or top stitch.
5. Press the short ends of the rectangle to the wrong side 1/4″
6. Turn right side out.
7. Thread the elastic through the tube and overlap the ends 1/2″ to create a circle. ZigZag stitch to secure the ends together.
8. Tuck your pressed ends to the wrong side and slide one end into the other. Pin closed and slipstitch.
9. Tie your bow to your scrunchie!