Beach Bag DIY
It’s beach season! There are so many hidden delights in Western Canada that are often forgotten or taken for granted. B.C. is blessed with ocean access but also beautiful forests that often lead to lakes. Not to mention the beauty of the Shuswap! The run-off from the mountains needs to go somewhere and Alberta is full of beautiful lakes. From Sylvan lake to lake Minnewanka we are only a short drive away from a beach day! Although Saskatchewan is known for their Prairies they are still able to enjoy a beach day at little Manitou lake or even lake Athabasca. Be sure to throw in some fishing rods with these visits. Manitoba is home to Canada’s 13th largest lake, Lake Manitoba and is full of little cottages among the bodies of water.
Okay, so maybe a Canadian beach isn’t quite the same as a Mexico beach but they are beautiful, and still require a beach bag!
- 0.8m fabric (140cm wide)
- 1.5m lining (60cm wide)
- 0.6m vinyl
- 4 O-rings 38mm
- 1.5m trim for handles
- sewing machine
- Optional: magnetic clip, 8″ invisible zipper
- Cut a rectangle 44″ x 23″ out of fabric and 40″ x 23″ of lining.
2. Cut out bag bottom, referencing the diagram attached to the materials. Cut 1 of vinyl and 1 of lining.
3. Sew a rolled hem on the long edges of the bag bottom vinyl (23″ sides).
4. Centre the leather bottom piece face up on the right side of the fabric and sew into place.
5. Cut the fabric on both sides where the leather bottom is cut out
6. Fold fabric good to good and stitch sides. Press seams open
7. Bring the side seam to the middle of the cut-out and stitch. Repeat on other side.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 with the lining. **Optional: add zipper pocket to lining**
9. Cut 4 strips of vinyl 1″ x 6″. Thread through O-rings and baste vinyl to top edge of bag
10. Press top edge of fabric under 2″. **Optional: attach magnetic snaps to the top of the bag on 2″ fold.
11. Place bag and lining good sides together making sure vinyl tabs are tucked in. Stitch top edge with 1/2″ seam allowance, leaving opening to turn inside out.
12. Turn inside out and slip stitch opening closed. Top stitch edge of bag.
13. Thread in the belting trim through the O-rings to create the purse straps, stitch down.
Don’t forget to enter your bag into our contest! https://woobox.com/sqio73