DIY of the month: Duffle Bag
Kick-off your New Year’s resolution with a brand new duffle bag. Making a New Year’s Resolution creates a goal to work towards throughout the year and help you to focus on something. This project is the perfect combination of our two resolutions, stay healthy and sew more!
Use the pattern pieces provided and get working on your very own duffle bag. Share with us on social media #fabriclandsewnshare
- Main fabric: 1.5m
- Lining: 1.5m
- 2x D rings
- Adjustable Buckle
- 2x Swivel Hook
- 9″ zipper for pocket
- 22″ zipper for bag
- 1.6m Piping/cording
- Cut 1 rectangle in Main Fabric and Lining: 21.5″ x 30.5″
Cut 1 rectangle in Lining: 9.5″ x 18″
Cut 1 strip in Lining 4″ x 156″ (This can be done in several smaller length strips)
Cut 2 “END OF BAG” circles in main fabric and Lining using the supplied pattern piece
Cut 1 “END POCKET” piece in main fabric using the supplied pattern piece
Cut 1 “END POCKET LINING” piece in lining using the supplied pattern piece
2. Fold the long strip in half lengthwise and press.
3. Open fabric and press edges to the centre crease you just made.
4. Fold edges together and press again.
5. Edgestitch along the open edge of the strip.
6. Cut your strip as followed:
-2 pieces 44″ long (Bag handles)
-2 pieces 4″ long (D-Ring loops)
You will be left with a 60″ strip (Bag strap)
7. Measure down 2 1/4″ from the top of one “END OF BAG” circle piece in main fabric and draw a 2″ line.
8. Using your 4″ strip fold 1″ up and then fold remaining length over to create a tab. Slide on D-ring.
9. Place tab on 2″ line and sew to panel with an ‘X’ box. Repeat for the second circle and 4″ strip.
10. Place the “END POCKET” main piece and “END POCKET LINING” pieces right sides together, stitch across the straight edge. Press seam towards lining and edgestitch.
11. Line up the bottom curve of the pieces to create a 1″ facing on the lining side, press.
12. Place the pocket on top of the “END OF BAG” piece, matching up the bottom seams, and baste together.
13. On the lining rectangle measure down 5 1/4″ from the 21 1/2″ side and draw a line 9″ long.
14. Sew your zipper in as a welt zipper pocket.
*Visit our blog for tips on welt zipper pockets:
15. Attach the pocket lining to the zipper pocket.
16. Fold each 21 1/2″ end down 1/2″ and press.
17. Attach “END OF BAG” lining circle pieces on the sides of your lining main piece leaving a 1/2″ gap at the top of the circles for the zipper. Set aside.
18. Fold the short ends of the main large rectangle together to mark the middle. On the short ends measure down 4 1/4″ and draw a line. Measure in 6 1/4″ from the sides and mark on all three lines.
19. Place one of the 44″ strips along the 6 1/4″ marks of the main large rectangle. Extend the ends of the strip 1″ past the middle line.
20. Topstitch the strap on both sides from the 4 1/4″ line to the end.
21. With your second 44″ strip, fold the ends over 1″ and place on top of the strip already sewn down to cover the raw edge.
22. Make sure this strip is also lined up with the 6 1/4″ marks. Topstitch the strip on both sides from the 4 1/4″ line to the end.
23. Sew an ‘X’ on the strips at the 4 1/4″ lines and sew an ‘X’ on the strips at the middle of the bag where the straps overlap.
24. Place the wrong side of the zipper onto the right side of the short edge of the main large rectangle and stitch. Repeat on the other side, ensuring the zipper isn’t twisted.
25. Pin the piping/cording around the “END OF BAG” circles overlapping the ends. Baste in place.
26. Attach your “END OF BAG” circle to the main rectangle piece, placing right sides together and stitching around the circle.
27. Place the lining into the main bag, placing wrong sides together. Pin the pressed edge of the lining to the zipper and topstitch to secure the lining to the bag.
28. Attach your 60″ strip to the Adjustable Buckle and Swivel Hooks by folding over the edges and stitching. Clip to the bag and enjoy!